Before I moved to WA state in 2003, I was a volunteer at Dragon Slayers, a privately operated exotic animal farm for the benefit of physically handicapped individuals. DS is owned by Josef Rivers, pictured here with a lovely rose-breasted parrot. When I visit my friends in CA, a day at DS is a must. This visit was on 10/27/2008. Josef's collection of animals is amazing; emus, a yak, a camel, land tortoises, birds of all types, and a herd of miniature horses, donkeys, brahama cattle, goats, plus mammoth donkeys. Spending time wandering the grounds with all the sights and sounds is transporting.

Here is a cute scene between a baby mammoth donkey and Delilia, a rescued doberman pincer. No worries; they are playing. When I say rescued, I mean from extreme circumstances. Many of the critters that live at DS find their way to Josef due to owners who are negligent or abusive. This is especially true of the macaws. I ended up adopting one of Josef's finds, a scarlet macaw named Gandi. He was a holy terror that I observed from a safe distance for many months. But that's another story. Back to the present day.
Two of my favorite DS "students" are Rae Ellen and Sherri. Rae Ellen is here with her service dog, Neal. She and Neal have been together for a dozen years. Sadly, Rae Ellen has just learned that Neal has a terminal cancer. She is really struggling to come to terms with this. Neal is the angel at her side. But Rae Ellen is an extraordinarily courageous woman. She will apply for and receive another service dog, but the wait is longer than it should be; up to a year. Rae Ellen also has a yellow cockatiel that she is training. And that is the gift that DS offers to "students" of all ages. The opportunity to train and lead an animal, chosen by Josef, in clever tricks. These "behaviors" as Josef calls them, may be leading a camel in a parade, or teaching him to "cush" (lie down) on command, or loading in a trailer. Or directing a miniature horse over jumps and to pirouette on a round stage. Oh, yes, this and more. All done from wheelchair.

This is Sherri at work; leading a cute, albiet stubborn, miniature donkey. These students are operating under the watchful eye of Josef, who practices safety above all.
1 comment:
Cute critters! ellen
Post a Comment